Breaking Through to the Blessed Life
by Bruce Wilkinson (Multnomah, 2000)
This simple little book caused quite a stir a few years ago. Anything popular does. While some of the concern was valid, most was manufactured in order to sell opposing books. I think publishing houses look for bandwagons to jump onto or shoot at.
One misplaced accusation centered on what some said was a formulaic prescription for instant success. And while Jabez' prayer (in 1 Chronicles 4.9-10) is quite succinct, it isn't necessarily a magic pill. In fact, Wilkinson's extended devotional on these verses reveals a balanced view that prayer is to be infused with confident humility.
For those not familiar with the "four easy prayers" (critics' view, not mine) to a blessed life, they are:
- "Oh, that You would bless me indeed!"
- "Oh, that You would enlarge my territory!"
- "Oh, that Your hand would be with me!"
- "Oh, that You would keep me from evil!"
- Bless me in order to make me a blessing.
- Increase my influence and impact for You.
- Without You I can do nothing that lasts.
- Protect me from evil and causing evil.
Secrets of the Vine
Breaking Through to Abundance
by Bruce Wilkinson (Multnomah, 2001)
Taken together, these two little volumes pack an important positive message for believers going through struggle, doubt, and uncertainty. Recommended reading.
For more resources, visit The Breakthrough Series.